Sunday, May 16, 2010

A Tutorial, kinda, How I turned Ugly Toddler T Shirts in to Cute Tank Tops.

I started out with these...
Before My MIL got them for my youngest and I'm not a huge fan of the flash dance look or that built in shirt thing. (I hated that as a kid). I liked the fabric enough to do something with them and I wanted to practice sewing with jersey.

I'm going to show you how I made these shirts in to cute little tanks.

First you need to pick, or make up a pattern. I kinda used The Brooklyn Tank Top from Sewing Clothes Kids Love. I changed the shape of the bottom of the tank so I could use the already hemmed bottom of the t-shirts.

Fold the tops in half and pin your patterns on the fold.
Step 1

Repeat with the other side and then you should have something like this.
Cut Check out my shiny new shears I got for my birthday (thanks woogies)

both cut Then cut the bias tape or whatever trim your using. I used bias tape because I wouldn't have a clue what else to use...this is my first REAL time sewing with jersey (I've played around a little with it before without much luck). I know there is directions for the tank pattern I used but I just lined up the tape on the top and used another tank top for the measurements of the shoulder straps.

Sew the top trim.
top done

Now don't make the mistake I did and go sew the sides together....I found out that ripping the stitches out of jersey is not fun.

Pin your shoulder straps and sew. It should look something like this when you are done.

straps

Now go sew the sides together...

both done, so much cuter
Now you have cute tank tops!

I hope this is clear, it's my first time so go easy on me. If you have any questions let me know. You can click on any of the pictures and they will take to to flickr where they will be much bigger.

Come back tomorrow and enter for a chance to win one of my super awesome locket necklaces that I will be giving way for Sew Mamma Sew's Giveaway day!

2 comments:

NinjaEema said...

They turned out super cute. Knits aren't that bad once you get used to them. A walking foot helps A LOT.

merlinthecat said...

Because of my walking foot I don't mind them. Thanks for the tip!