Tuesday, May 11, 2010

I wanta sew too I wanta sew too I wanta sew too!!!!!!

This is what Gooey my 6yo has been saying for over a year... sigh.... I'm still not ready to let her play with my machine so when I found this little cutie on ebay I had to get it for her. It was sooo cheap and I had the money....it was so cheap that if it didn't work it was ok. I had made the mistake of giving away my vintage Kenmore to my sil who doesn't use it and I can't really ask for it back, I'd feel like a jerk. Anyway. This one is a vintage Sears/Crystal toy sewing machine.


Vintage Sears Crystal Toy Sewing Machine

Well I works, I think...I'd know for sure if I could thread the thing.... It didn't come with a needle so I'm just using one of mine. That seems to be ok. I've tried threading from back to front and side to side. Side to side almost works..... Does anyone have any clue how to get this thing to work. I've googled and you-tubed with no luck. Gooey doesn't know it's here yet and till I get it to work I'm going to keep it that way....

Vintage Sears Crystal Toy Sewing Machine
Vintage Sears Crystal Toy Sewing Machine
The threads a little twisted here, but this is it thread side to side. If you click on any of the pictures it will take you to flickr where you can see a full size image.


Thank you :)

6 comments:

NinjaEema said...

Super cute machine. Wish I could help with the threading issue. I'd probably do better if I saw it in person. Did it come with any instructions at all? What sort of bobbin does it have?

merlinthecat said...

No instructions and it doesn't use bobbins, it has some hook thing underneath that does something with the tread on the back side of the fabric. I'm not sure what that something is yet....

Anonymous said...

As you bought it on eBay, have u already tried to contact the seller?

merlinthecat said...

They are a reseller, they didn't even know if it worked.

Anonymous said...

Then what about making this qeustion in vintage sewing machine forums-websites-yahoo! groups or even usenet (aka what google calls "discussion groups"). You can google to search for them.

merlinthecat said...

I think we have her figured out. I had her threaded and the needle in the right way, we've oiled her up I just need to put her back together (I lost a bolt last night and we had to get a new one today)

So I should have her up and running and Gooey sewing away soon!


Oh L, it does a straight stitch on top and then the hooky thing makes what looks like a crochet chain on the back. Really strange!