Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Wow 2 posts in one day...

And this one isn't going to make me any friends.... I'm sad. Magknits is gone. You know why I think Magknits is gone...Ravelry Forums. I also know one of the big reasons Momma Monkey closed her shop was because of the Ravelry Forums. I also know why her patterns are not and most likely never be posted again...oh guess...Ravelry Forums. Fuck, I've seen a thread rip Knitty apart for being too nice.....WTF!!! I know things happen, people not getting paid, missing yarn, bags, or money.. something went wrong, people were not happy, they wanted to talk about it, they did....and it got out of hand and it turned in to a fucking witch hunt. All I know is that 2 things I enjoyed are gone, chased off the Internet by a bunch of knitters waving they're needles. My god I'm glad I haven't been at the end of one of these witch hunts. I really don't think that people understand that just because your hiding behind a computer that you can say anything that pops into your head! Now don't get me wrong. I think you should be able speak your mind, hell I'm doing it now...but you need to be careful how you do it. I'd also like to say that I think that Ravelry has some wonderful useful options and I know that people have worked very hard to bring us a this free service. I just think the Forums there can be evil. In most cases I stay away, I learned that after Momma Monkey died....but I wanted to know what happened and why Magknits was gone. I have a feeling that if someone doesn't get control over there more people are going to disappear.

4 comments:

Pam the Yarn Goddess said...

I, for one, am not afraid to say that I agree with you 100%. I've been online since around 1988, back when CompuServe was just starting, and I've seen more people and/or their reputations and businesses ruined because of things like this. The problem with things like Ravelry is that you can remain anonymous behind your monitor, so people tend to lose their inhibitions and say things they would normally never say if they were face to face with someone. A witch hunt is exactly what it is. I'm just building my reputation, and I know that one wrong thing, one lost order, one disgruntled customer can screw the whole thing up. People don't stop to think about all the time and effort you put into something. Why should they? They don't care - it's not theirs. I'm also going to say something else that won't endear me to anybody, either - this is precisely why I don't really like women. They're catty, they cause trouble, they gossip, and some women aren't happy unless they're ruining someone's life. I've got women friends and love them dearly, but this is why I don't go to groups for knitting or spinning. I don't like to sit around and gossip while I'm trying to work.

I only met Momma Monkey once when you and she collaborated on a bag/handspun for me. I'm sorry I didn't get to know her better - she seemed like such a lovely person. I'm also very sad that you've closed your business - your yarn is beautiful.

As far as Ravelry goes, I advertise there because it's the fastest way to get my shop out to a lot of people, and I have a few forums that I moderate, but I don't do anything else with it. I've got far too much to do than sit here and inventory every skein of yarn I own. You're right - something needs to be done, but I don't know what or how. It's grown so big that half the groups aren't even about knitting or related topics. I don't read anything unless it's something I'm responsible for.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

peri said...

Well said - I took an internet break in autumn 2007 because I couldn't deal with this issue in general - I don't spend much time in any of the forums here and less time on knitty - because all it takes is one bad apple. You're right about the freedom of speech aspect but it's when people jump on the bandwagon and give someone a verbal kicking with little or no provocation that gets my goat.

ZantiMissKnit said...

The witch hunts that have happened to Momma Monkey, MagKnits, MCY (even though her business practices are suspect, it turned into a Battle Royale), and most recently, the attempts to ruin Tsock Tsarina's reputation are the reasons I will never, ever do any sort of crafty business. There's a part of me that would love to, but I don't want to be lynched if I make the slightest mistake.

Miss Violet said...

Oh, dude. Seriously.

I know there are bad people out there. And the whole idea of letting people know when they would be taken by an unethical asshat is a good one. Protective of your fellow (wo)man and all that jazz. (I reference the initial buzz about MCY, right there on Ravelry. Took a lot of people's money, copycatted MM's illness and death fraudulently, and does it all over again. Heinous stuff. It's GOOD to know about that kind of thing.)

But there's Information Sharing and then there's Lynch Mob. So much of what's going on over there has denigrated into Lynch Mob that the actual INFORMATION is completely LOST. So many people feel entitled to just blab whatever they feel, true or not. It's sad, hurtful, and over the line. (reference: MagKnits' Kerrie. Did she claim to be dying? Did she claim that she was one of a zillion personalities she invented in her head? No. She faced it all head-on and tried to explain, but the MOB wasn't listening to anything at that point and just wanted blood. So. Not. Cool.)

I've posted maybe three dozen times over there (mostly in a local group's forum about get-togethers and such) since the beginning part of March because I love the knitting community. Everything and everyone, almost without exception, has been TOTALLY cool. I love my knittergirlz. But those people I don't know? The ones that are posting mean, snarky, or unfounded stuff on those forums, or are completely losing their sh*t over there, going for blood when a word would be better placed? They scare me. And I want to KEEP my love of knitters, not have it smashed.

So I get you here. I totally grok what you're saying. And if you get to Iowa sometime, we can go have coffee and string and talk about the good ol' days before the Ravelry badge of honor became Meanness instead of Community.